The 8 Steps to Admission to Australian Universities in 2023
We are going to present to you in this article the 8 steps to follow to proceed to an admission in the Australian universities as a European, African, Canadian, American foreign student.
To study in Australia , you must first obtain admission to one of the Australian universities .
Indeed, you must consider that admissions to universities in Australia require several steps and conditions.
Moreover, there are general rules and overall registration deadlines to be respected.
However, you should note that each Australian university has specifics and requirements for obtaining university admission (a letter of acceptance) and making registration.
Through the following, we will directly and indirectly answer the following questions:
- How do I apply for admission to an Australian university?
- How do I get (or get) admission to an Australian university?
- What are the admission requirements for an Australian university?
On the other hand, you should know that there are generally several admissions sessions:
- A regular Session.
- And, several early sessions.
However, at some universities in Australia, admissions sessions are still open.
We invite you to discover the calendar of admissions and registrations in general in universities in Australia.
The first case, the calendar of admissions and registrations to universities in Australia for the ordinary session:
- Start of pre-admissions: September or November 2023.
- End of pre-admissions: December or January 2023.
- Admissions result: March or April 2023.
- Validation of admission: April and May 2023.
- Start of registration formalities: June or July 2023.
- End of registration formalities: the end of August 2023.
Other cases, general deadlines: example of a return to school during the year in July.
- Start of pre-admissions: December 2023.
- End of pre-admissions: January 2023.
- Admissions result: March 2023.
- Validation of admission: April 2023.
- Start of registration formalities: May 2023.
- End of registration formalities: the end of June 2023.
As a result, you will find in this article the 8 steps to follow to be able to obtain admission to a university in Australia (public or private).
The 8 Steps to Admission to Australian Universities in 2023
Before you start, it is important to know that all Australian universities readily accept international students.
At the same time, admissions to universities in Australia require you to follow a well-defined process which we have divided into several stages.
Here are the 8 steps to follow:
- Choose the Australian university.
- Choose your study program or specialty.
- Send an application for admission to the Australian university.
- Apply for admission.
- Take selection tests.
- Send the documents requested by the university.
- Obtain admission and matriculation in an Australian university.
- Apply for a study permit/study visa in Australia.
NB: there are almost no differences between the formalities of university registrations in Australia .
- Enrolling in a public university in Australia .
- Enrolling in a private university in Australia .
Please find more details on each of these admissions steps later in this article.
1. Choose Australian University
The first step to apply for and obtain admission to one of the universities in Australia is simply to choose the university in which you want to do your higher education.
Here are the articles that may interest you to choose a university in Australia:
2. Choose your study program or specialty
Each university in Australia has several dozen or hundreds of specialties.
Here are some of the majors in universities in Australia:
- Law and legal sciences.
- Business, Management and MBA.
- Physical sciences and humanities.
- Computer science.
- Engineering studies.
- All specialties are available.
So, you can visit the official website of the Australian university of your choice and find the right faculty for you.
3. Submit an application for admission to the Australian university
After choosing your university in Australia and your specialty and study program, it is now time to apply for admission to universities in Australia.
Applications for admission to Australian universities are sent the same way to all public or private universities.
Indeed, depending on the Australian university, pre-admission applications are sent via one of the following platforms:
- The Australian university platform (usually).
- The Common platform (rarely)
For the early admission session, applications for admission to study in 2023 are sent from September 2023.
For the ordinary admission session, applications for admission to study in 2023 are sent from January 2023.
And, for the other start dates, admission requests are sent before 5 and 6 months from the start date.
4. Apply for admission.
Irrespective of the platform of the Australian university, you must follow the following steps
- Create your account.
- You must read and complete the forms carefully.
- You must complete all the fields requested when applying for admission.
- Send your application for admission or request for pre-registration or admission.
- Justify your level of study.
- Pay the initial registration application fee .
- Send the documents requested by the Australian university.
You should note that the timetable and deadlines for admissions and registrations vary a bit from one Australian university to another.
5. Pass selection tests and interviews.
All international students can go through the testing stage with Australian universities.
- Language level tests.
- Skill level tests.
- The SAT or ACT tests.
- And, psychotechnical and personality tests.
In addition, you will possibly have video conference or live interviews with the administration of the Australian university.
You must pass this step, a positive notification will be the subject of an acceptance letter by the Australian university.
Of course, all procedures have online through the platform.
6. Send the documents requested by the Australian university.
To validate your request for pre-registration or pre-admission to the Australian university of your choice, it will ask you for a list of documents to complete your file.
- A CV and a cover letter.
- Your diplomas and transcripts.
- Your passport.
- Your picture.
- A certificate of English language level.
- Letters of recommendation (optional).
- Payment of university tuition fees in Australia .
7. Obtain admission into an Australian university.
Here we are.
- You have selected Australian universities.
- You have sent your applications to Australian universities .
- And, you were initially selected among the student candidates.
- In addition, you have successfully passed your interview with the Australian university.
Hence, you will gain admission into the Australian university. (a letter of acceptance from the university).
Remember, to finalize your admission to the Australian university, you must validate your admission, start registrations and pay the cost of studies at the Australian university .
So, you can see Australian Public Universities Tuition Fees and Australian Private Universities Tuition Fees .
After paying tuition fees, it can be said that you have successfully completed all Australian university admission requirements.
Typically, admission results notifications take place between December 2023 and May 2023 depending on the session you choose.
You can also explore opportunities to study for free in Australia .
8. Apply for a study permit/study visa.
Applying for a study permit or study visa for Australia differs depending on your nationality and your country.
Thus, you must contact the Australian Embassy in your country for more information and the required documents.
This procedure can take up to between 2 and 4 months.
Finally, after obtaining your study permit or study visa, you must finalize your registration according to the procedures in force at your Australian university.
The procedure for obtaining the study visa can start from step 6.
We have seen together the steps to follow to apply for and have admission to one of the Australian public or private universities for foreign students .
In conclusion, applications for admission to Australian universities must be submitted at least 1 year before the start of classes in the ordinary session and before 6 months for the session during the year.
At the same time, you should always respect the Australian university registration calendars and dates .
Finally, we always advise you to contact the Australian university of your choice directly for more information.
This post is also available in : Français