The 8 steps of admission to Swiss universities in 2023
We are going to present to you in this article the 8 steps to follow to proceed to an admission in the Swiss universities as a European or foreign student.
To study in Switzerland , you must first obtain admission to one of the Swiss universities .
Indeed, you must consider that admissions to universities in Switzerland require several steps and conditions.
Moreover, there are general rules and overall registration deadlines to be respected.
However, you should note that each Swiss university has specificities and conditions for registering and obtaining university admission.
Through the following, we will directly and indirectly answer the following questions:
- How to apply for admission to a Swiss university?
- How to obtain (or have) an admission in a Swiss university?
- What are the admission requirements for a Swiss public university?
As a result, you will find in this article the 8 steps to follow in order to obtain admission to a Swiss university ( public or private ).
The 8 steps of admission to Swiss universities in 2023
Before you start, it is important to know that Swiss universities easily accept foreign students.
On the other hand, admissions to universities in Switzerland require you to follow a well-defined process that we have divided into several steps to follow.
Here are the 8 steps to follow:
- Choose the Swiss university.
- Choose your study program or specialty.
- How to send an application for admission to the Swiss university.
- Apply for admission on the school’s website.
- Send the documents requested by the university.
- Take selection tests.
- Obtain admission to a Swiss university.
- Apply for a study permit.
NB: there are some differences between the registration formalities for universities in Switzerland .
- Enrollment in a public university in Switzerland .
- Enrollment in a private university in Switzerland .
Please find more details on each of these admissions steps later in this article.
1. Choose the Swiss university
The universities in Switzerland are among the best universities in the world.
Indeed, Switzerland is one of the best countries most welcoming of foreign students.
Thus, the first step to follow is to choose the university in which you want to do your higher education.
Here are the articles that may interest you to choose a university in Switzerland:
2. Choose your study program or specialty
Each university in Switzerland has several dozen specialties.
Indeed, there are several study programs in all Swiss universities.
Here are some of the specialties in the universities of Switzerland:
- Law and legal sciences.
- Business, Management and MBA.
- Physical science.
- Social science.
- Computer science.
- And, much more…
So, you can visit the official website of the university of your choice and find the right faculty for you.
3. How to send an application for admission to the Swiss university.
After choosing your university in Switzerland and your specialty and study program, it is now time to apply for admission to universities in Switzerland.
In general, there are 3 ways to send an application for admission to a university in Switzerland:
- The site of the Swiss university.
- The platform dedicated to the Swiss university.
- The email address of the Swiss university.
4. Apply for admission on the institution’s website.
For option a and b, you must follow the following steps, the site or the platform of the public or private university in Switzerland:
- First create your account.
- You must read and complete the forms carefully.
- Then, you must fill in all the fields requested when you apply for admission.
- Then, you must send your application for admission or pre-registration request.
- Finally, you must pay the file processing fee.
- Send the documents requested by the Swiss university.
For option c, you must send your application and the requested documents via your email.
You should note that processing times for the file can take from 1 to 6 weeks.
5. Send the documents requested by the university.
To validate your request for pre-registration or pre-admission to the Swiss university of your choice, it will ask you for a list of documents to complete your file.
In general, here are some documents requested by the Swiss university:
- Your diplomas whether it is the Baccalaureate, the license or the Master.
- Transcripts of your diplomas.
- Your student CV.
- A cover letter.
- A letter of recommendation.
- Proof of your language proficiency.
- And, other documents may be requested.
If you are eligible for a scholarship, you can apply for one.
Here is, how you can study in Switzerland for free through Switzerland scholarships .
6. Take selection tests
All Swiss and foreign students must go through the test stage with Swiss universities.
Indeed, you will have interviews by video conference or live with the administration of the Swiss university.
You must pass this step, a positive notification will be the subject of a letter of acceptance to a designated educational institution.
7. Obtain admission to a Swiss university.
Here we are.
- You have selected the Swiss universities.
- You have sent your applications to Swiss universities.
- And, you were initially selected among the student candidates.
- In addition, you have successfully passed your interview with the Swiss university.
Therefore, you are going to get admission into the Swiss university.
Remember, to finalize your admission in the Swiss university, you have to pay the price of the Swiss public university .
After the payment of tuition fees , it can be said that you have passed all the admission requirements for the Swiss university.
8. Apply for a study permit.
Applying for a study permit for Switzerland differs depending on your nationality.
Thus, you must contact the Swiss Embassy in your country for more information and the required documents.
This process can take up to 6 months.
Finally, after obtaining your study permit, you must register according to the procedures in force in your establishment.
We have seen together the steps to follow to apply for and have admission to one of the Swiss public or private universities .
In conclusion, applications for admission to Swiss universities must be submitted at least 3 to 12 months before the start of classes.
Of course, you must always respect the registration dates .
However, some universities in Switzerland allow foreign students to submit applications for admission throughout the year.
We always advise you to contact the university of your choice directly for more information.
This post is also available in : Français