The 8 steps of admission to UK universities in 2023
We are going to present to you in this article the 8 steps to follow to proceed to an admission in the British UK universities as a foreign student European, African, Canadian, American.
To study in the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), you must first obtain admission to one of the British universities .
Indeed, you must consider that admissions to universities in Great Britain require several steps and conditions.
Moreover, there are general rules and overall registration deadlines to be respected.
However, you should note that each UK university has specifics and requirements for registering and gaining university admission (a letter of acceptance).
Through the following, we will directly and indirectly answer the following questions:
- How do I apply for admission to a UK university?
- How do I get (or get) admission to a UK university?
- What are the entry requirements for a UK university?
As a result, you will find in this article the 8 steps to follow to be able to obtain admission to a university in Great Britain (public or private).
The 8 Steps of Admission to UK Universities in 2023
Before you start, it is important to know that UK universities easily accept international students.
On the other hand, admissions to universities in England require you to follow a well-defined process which we have divided into several stages.
Here are the 8 steps to follow:
- Choose the English university.
- Choose your study program or specialty.
- Send an application for registration or admission to the English university.
- Apply for registration and admission.
- Take selection tests.
- Send the documents requested by the university.
- Gain admission to an English university.
- Apply for a study permit/study visa in the UK.
NB: there are almost no differences between the formalities of registration at universities in the United Kingdom .
- Enrollment in a public university in England .
- Enrollment in a private university in England .
Please find more details on each of these admissions steps later in this article.
1. Choose the UK university
The first step to applying for and obtaining admission to one of the universities in the United Kingdom is simply to choose the university in which you want to do your higher education.
Here are the articles that may interest you to choose a university in England:
2. Choose your study program or specialty
Each university in the UK has several dozen or hundreds of specialties.
Here are some of the specialties at universities in Great Britain:
- Law and legal sciences.
- Business, Management and MBA.
- Physical sciences and human sciences.
- Computer science.
- Engineering studies.
- All specialties are available.
So, you can visit the official website of the UK university of your choice and find the right faculty for you.
3. Submit an application for admission to the UK university
After choosing your university in England and your major and study programme, it is now time to apply for admission to universities in the United Kingdom.
Undergraduate (first year) in a British public university, foreign students must send their applications via the UCAS platform .
For other levels in the public or private sector, international students must send their applications through the UK university admissions platform.
NB: You must create an account with each platform.
4. Apply for admission.
Regardless of the UCAS or other platform, you must follow the following steps
- Create your account.
- You must read and complete the forms carefully.
- You must complete all the fields requested when applying for admission.
- Send your admission request or pre-registration request.
- Justify your level of study.
- Pay the initial registration application fee (rarely).
- Send the documents requested by the British university.
You should note that the calendar and deadlines for registration vary from one British university to another, especially for masters.
5. Pass selection tests and interviews.
All foreign students can go through the test stage with English universities.
- Language level tests.
- Skill level tests.
- And, psychotechnical and personality tests.
In addition, you will possibly have video conference or live interviews with the administration of the English university.
You must pass this step, a positive notification will be the subject of a letter of acceptance by the English university.
Of course, all procedures have online through the platform.
6. Send the documents requested by the UK university.
To validate your request for pre-registration or pre-admission to the British university of your choice, it will ask you for a list of documents to complete your file.
- A CV and a cover letter.
- Your diplomas and transcripts.
- Your passport.
- Your picture.
- A certificate of English language level.
- Letters of recommendation (optional).
- Payment of university tuition fees in the UK .
7. Get admission to a UK university.
Here we are.
- You have selected English universities.
- You have sent your applications to British universities .
- And, you were initially selected among the student candidates.
- In addition, you have successfully passed your interview with the English university.
Hence, you will get admission into UK university. (a letter of acceptance from the university).
Don’t forget, to finalize your admission in the English university, you must pay the cost of the studies of the English university .
So you can see English Public Universities Tuition Fees and English Private Universities Tuition Fees .
After payment of tuition fees, it can be said that you have successfully completed all UK university admission requirements.
8. Apply for a study permit/study visa.
Applying for a study permit or study visa for England differs depending on your nationality and your country.
Thus, you should contact the UK Embassy in your country for more information and the required documents.
This procedure can take up to between 2 and 4 months.
Finally, after obtaining your study permit or study visa, you must finalize your registration according to the procedures in force at your British university.
The procedure for obtaining the study visa can start from step 6.
We have seen together the steps to follow to apply for and have admission to one of the British public or private universities for foreign students .
In conclusion, applications for admission to English universities must be submitted at least 1 year before the start of first year (public) courses.
And, at least between 2 to 4 months before the start of classes for other situations.
On the other hand, you must always respect the calendars and dates of university registrations in the United Kingdom .
Finally, we always advise you to contact the British university of your choice directly for more information.
This post is also available in : Français