University of Southampton Scholarships in UK in 2021
University of Southampton UK Scholarships 2021
Apply for the University of Southampton UK Scholarships 2021.
The University of Southampton is inviting high achieving applicants from around the world for the Presidential Postgraduate Research Fellowship.
Target group of the scholarship:
- Target Countries: All
- Group: All
The organization offering the scholarship:
- Scholarship Name: Presidential Postgraduate Research Scholarship
- Organization: University of Southampton
- Year of scholarship: 2021
- Country: United Kingdom
- Organization: University of Southampton
- Level of study: Doctorate
- Specialty of the grant: Humanities, Social Sciences, Management, Fundamental Sciences, Several
- Award Amount: Up to £16,000
- Deadline to Apply: July 31, 2020
Description of the scholarship:
The postdoctoral research grant fund (presidential grant) operates each year and is administered by the Doctoral College.
The fellowships will cover full fees, a stipend, and a training and research support grant for up to 3.5 years (or 84 months pro-rated for part-time students).
The program is open to all nationalities and fields.
No official scholarship application is required from the applicant. Scholarship applications from suitably qualified candidates must be submitted by the Host Supervisory Team, reviewed by the relevant Faculty and forwarded by the Faculty Graduate School office to the Doctoral College for review.
Fellows must begin their doctoral studies by research between August 1 and December 1, 2020.
Successful applicants will receive the following academic scholarship:
- Full tuition funding.
- A stipend of £15,009 per year for living expenses.
- A training and research support grant of £1,000.
Each component will be payable for a maximum of 3.5 years (or 84 months prorated for part-time students), or until the date of the first submission of the thesis, whichever is earlier. The maximum duration may be adjusted on a pro-rata basis for part-time students.
The scholarship fees and stipends will be reviewed annually. The allowance will be pegged to the UKRI minimum.
Presidential Scholars will have access to a program of events, networking opportunities, and have their work promoted on academic media
How to apply for the scholarship?
No official scholarship application is required from the applicant. Faculties will submit scholarship applications on behalf of the qualified candidate to the Doctoral College for consideration.
In each round, a two-step process will be followed:
- UoS academic schools may recommend suitable applicants who meet the eligibility criteria for ranking by the faculty’s graduate school committee prior to the faculty’s ranking date. The classified candidates will be forwarded to the Doctoral College before the re-dispatch date.
- The final decision will be taken by a doctoral college selection jury, made up of the vice-president for research (or candidate), the director of the doctoral college and the faculty directors of the higher schools.
- Faculties should ensure that a complete Presidential Scholarship Application Form is sent, along with the University Registration Application Form, for all applicants to the Doctoral College Selection Panel. Applications from candidates who do not meet all the criteria will be rejected.
- Successful applicants will receive written confirmation of their scholarship on a letter provided to the office of the relevant doctoral school.
- Any prize will be contingent on achieving the required qualifications and meeting all prize requirements.
- Applicants who have been unsuccessful in awarding a full presidential scholarship may be eligible for a partial or alternative grant.
- Applicants receiving a Presidential Fellowship will be referred to as “Presidential Fellows”.
- Successful applicants who wish to accept the offer of a Presidential Scholarship must agree to abide by all eligibility requirements and conditions of the scholarship described here and any modifications thereto, for the duration of the scholarship, otherwise the offer will be withdrawn.
- The offer of a presidential scholarship must be accepted within 10 working days from the date of the letter of offer or it will be withdrawn. Offer letters and responses can be sent by e-mail.
- Candidates who receive a Presidential Fellowship offer must register and begin their doctoral studies between August 1, 2020 and December 1, 2020.
- The scholarship will be paid for a maximum of 3.5 years of funding (prorated for part-time students), or the date of first submission of the thesis, whichever is earlier.
Presidential scholarships can be terminated at any time if:
- The recipient’s progress is deemed unsatisfactory, as determined by tracking academic progress as defined in the Academic Calendar, Section V;
- The recipient who needs a UK visa to study does not meet any requirement of it and at any time throughout their PhD application;
- The faculty director of the host faculty’s Graduate School or the director of the doctoral college determines that there has been a material breach of the terms of the scholarship.
- A condition of receiving the award is that Presidential Scholars must agree to contribute to physical and online events promoting the program, their work and research activities.
- The terms of a Presidential Scholarship may change during the award period and notification of any changes will be communicated to the recipient.
- The faculties will be responsible for administering the successful candidates and reporting annually on their progress to the Doctoral College.
- The Doctoral College will provide the Faculty Graduate School office with the relevant offer letters to be used and the budget code to charge the payments.
- The decision of the awarding juries is final.
- Link to apply: Apply
- Official Link: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/
Applications for Presidential Fellowships may be accepted from candidates demonstrating outstanding academic performance who have been accepted to commence doctoral studies by research at the University of Southampton in the 2021/2022 academic year.
There are no restrictions on nationality, but any scholarship offer and continued payment of the scholarship is subject to the condition that applicants can meet:
- Admission requirements for applying for a Doctor of Research degree at the University of Southampton (UoS), including English Language University entry requirements for their chosen field of study.
- Any UK visa requirements for periods of study in the UK.
- The other eligibility requirements and conditions of the scholarship described in this document.
- Applicants must be highly ranked among their cohort at their previous institution, as evidenced by their transcripts and/or references.
- Applicants must have been offered a place on a Southampton PhD program by research.
Applicants must be in possession of or must receive either
- A first class or equivalent in their undergraduate or integrated master’s degree;
- and/or Global Honors, with Honors in the Project or equivalent in a stand-alone Masters.
- Equivalence can be established by reference to standard comparators such as NARIC.
- Winners are expected to spend the majority of their study time at the University of Southampton in the UK.
- The program is only open to new candidates for research doctorates. Existing students registered for a PhD at the University of Southampton are not eligible for the scholarships.
- An individual supervisor may only supervise (as a primary supervisor or co-supervisor) one of these Presidential Fellows at a time.
- Applicants undertaking part-time doctoral studies through research are also eligible, but any fellowships will be paid on a pro-rata basis (up to 84 months).
- A review of scholarship funding levels will take place annually and continued payment will be conditional on satisfactory progress as measured by the University of Southampton’s annual monitoring process.
- Applicants undertaking taught doctorates are not eligible for application for the Presidential Fellowship.
- Fellows must begin their doctoral studies by research between August 1 and December 1, 2020
This post is also available in : Français