Scholarships Phd Program By Volkswagen Foundation Germany 2021
Scholarship Phd Program by Volkswagen Foundation Germany 2021
Scholarship for the Phd Program by Volkswagen Foundation Germany 2021.
The Volkswagen Foundation offers scholarships to young international researchers in all disciplines.
Target group of the scholarship:
- Target Countries: All
- Group: All
The organization offering the scholarship:
- Scholarship Name: Phd Program by Volkswagen Foundation
- Organization: Volkswagen Foundation
- Year of scholarship: 2021
- Country: Germany
- Organization: Volkswagen Foundation
- Level of study: Doctorate
- Specialty of the grant: Scientific Specialties
- Grant amount: €60,000
- Deadline to Apply: April 1, 2021
Description of the scholarship:
A free thinker – for the Volkswagen Foundation, it is a young researcher who innovates, knows how to use freedom and overcome resistance. She swims – if necessary – against the tide and likes to deal creatively with the unexpected, even with unforeseen difficulties.
A Freigeist Fellow breaks new ground and combines critical analytical skills with extraordinary perspectives and approaches. By acting with foresight, the Freigeist Fellow becomes a catalyst for overcoming technical, institutional and national boundaries.
The offer is aimed at outstanding research personalities who move between established research fields and wish to pursue risky science.
Young researchers with up to four years of research experience after completing their doctorate have the opportunity to optimally organize their scientific work with maximum freedom and a clear time perspective.
The Volkswagen Foundation offers scholarships to young international researchers in all disciplines. Ten to fifteen research fellowships will be awarded per year.
The offer is aimed at excellent early stage scientists who wish to pursue outstanding and risky science between established research areas and pursue risky science.
The aim of the program is to encourage outstanding research personalities to embark on visionary and risky research projects at the intersection of established research fields.
The Volkswagen Foundation is the largest private research funder and one of the leading foundations in Germany. It finances research projects in pioneering fields and supports universities in improving the structural conditions of their work.
How to apply for the scholarship?
In the application information for each funding initiative, the general conditions and formal requirements for an application are explained specifically for each initiative.
You will also find practical information on how to apply. The contact persons listed there will be happy to answer any further questions.
Employees responsible for the subject in question provide information about project proposals under “Open – for the extraordinary” .
Applications are submitted electronically via the Foundation’s application portal.
Can foreign institutions submit an application?
In principle, foreign scientific institutions can also apply.
Your applications should also relate to a specific funding initiative and contain specific information on previously agreed cooperation with scientists in Germany.
In many funding initiatives, the leadership of the German scientific institution is required.
What other requirements apply to reviewing an application?
The foundation can only examine applications if a scientific institution is designated as the recipient of the license.
In general, the foundation assumes that an identical or thematic application has not been or should not be submitted to other funding bodies in parallel.
In sponsorship initiatives for the personal promotion of young people (scholarships), the foundation tolerates multiple applications and nevertheless checks your application. In all other funding initiatives, the foundation refrains from double-checking the application.
If a project has already been rejected “as is”, you are free to revise and resubmit your application, taking into account the information provided. However, in the event of a normal rejection, your application will not be examined a second time.
What are the financing conditions?
The foundation allocates its funds to scientific institutions, not directly to individuals. It only funds for a specific purpose and ensures that the funds are used additionally – i.e. they do not burden an institution’s core budget and therefore the actual maintenance provider of the institution funded, like the state.
Funds should not be used to cover budget shortfalls or induce other donors to reduce their grants accordingly. Consequently, the foundation does not finance any project whose objectives and funding needs are not precisely defined. It also does not make funds available to other research funding institutions for their general funding work.
Funds approved by the foundation are not tied to budget years or expire at the end of a calendar year. However, they can only be granted in exceptional cases over a period of five years.
The Foundation does not provide funds for institutional overhead.
For more details on what can be funded, please refer to the relevant information on how to apply for funding initiatives.
- Link to apply: Apply
- Official Link: https://www.volkswagenstiftung.de/
- International applicants are eligible to apply for this opportunity.
- The “freigeist” program is deliberately open to all disciplines and all subjects.
- Anyone can apply who identifies with the goals of a “Freigeist” fellowship and whose proposed research project matches the goals pursued by the Freigeist initiative. Applicants must, however, meet the following conditions:
- Their doctorate must have been obtained no more than five years previously (with regard to the date of the defense in relation to the deadline of the initiative).
- The scholarship must from the outset be embedded in a university or an extra-mural research institution in Germany.
- Applicants must have already changed their academic environment and moved to a new location – at the latest when the scholarship starts. A return to the doctoral work context will only be accepted in exceptional circumstances.
- A previously completed research stay abroad, at the latest, integrated into the proposed research project.
This post is also available in : Français